27 August 2009

Playing with black, white and greys

Over the last few days I have been playing with various pens and markers, trying to find my favourite ones. It isn´t easy, but I think I will stick to my PITT pens for fine lines and use Copic Markers for grey tones. On the left side I used mostly PITT brush pens and although I like the colours better, I don´t like the streaky look. On the right side of the first scan I used mostly cold greys from Copic. As they are used for Comics they almost look like a print. The scanner messed it up a bit. Not sure why.


Yesterday I found a very cool posting about Zentangles on Scrappy Cats blog. She gave a link to the official site of Zentangles and I had to go there immediately. I love black and white doodling and the site is interesting. In their free newsletter you can find cool doodles and images that could also be used for freemotion quilting or embroidery.
So after looking at all the cool stuff I did this one. It is the size of a DVD and I love the part that looks like a ball wrapped in ribbon and the "amoebas" on the left.
These are done the size of Zentangles. Each one meassures 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 inches or 9x9cm (well, if you want to be correct it is 8.9cm x 8.9cm)


And here is my second Mandala. This is more free and chaotic than the first one and to tell the truth I don´t know if there is a meaning in it. Will have to think about it...

2 comments:

Mary-Frances said...

Oh, I LOVE this idea! Thanks a ton for the link!

Linda Matthews said...

Thanks Karin, those Zentangles just look like too much fun! I don't need any more obsessions but maybe I can fit in just another small one.